Re: Off Topic - PC techie needed

I wouldn't try to go back to 95.  Try to fix 98.  What have you
changed lately?  Look there.  If you have added or upgraded then look
for conflicts in the IRQ or memory locations.  95 and 98 stink for
resolving conflicts themselves.  You have to do it.  One easy way is
uninstall everything you can then shut down.  When you reboot the OS
will try to load it correctly.  You may still have problems but you
just have to sort them out.  You could have some hardware that is
going bad.  That is a tough one.

Your 95 install is probably in a different partition.  Not quite like
a folder.  I would add a drive or at least copy out all the stuff you
need.  Then do a clean install of 98 or some OS.  You will have to
reinstall all programs but if you can copy your data out you just
bring it back.  98 can be fixed but it is a pretty techinical job.  If
you add a drive then disconnect the one you have.  The install an OS
then hook up the old drive to get the data from it.  I would put the
new one in on the same cable you are using now.  When you add the old
drive back put it on the second IDE.  I'm guessing your Primary IDE
had the drive and a CD drive on it so put the old drive on the
secondary IDE cable.  I don't know what you have so it is hard to tell
you what to do.

How old is this unit?  Might be time for a new one.

Jimmy

I currently use a Win 98 machine for all non investment related activities.

This machine was upgraded from Win 95.

When that was done my support guy saved all the Win 95 operations as a
backup should the Win 98 installation go amok.

Given some current problems we are experiencing with the machine, one of
my better friends, and a semi-techie, suggested that some of our current
problems may relate to the fact that the original Win 95 backup system
was never removed.

There is no "remove program" listed in the "add/remove" folder, but that
group of files seems to be located in a directory titled "system.sav" as
  a folder under my current (I believe) programs directory.

I'd like to delete these files if that's the case, but I'm just PC
illiterate enough to want a more trustworthy opinion.

Anyone know of a web site where that question could be posed to better
minds than mine?

Thanks, both for your help, and letting me eat up some of the territory
given to more important things.

Richard Funkhouser