Re: Off Topic - PC techie needed

You don't mention the specific problem you're seeing with W98, so it's difficult to guess what might have gone wrong --

It could simply be that you're attempting to drive a Model-T on the freeway :), and the old buggy simply can't provide something that satisfies current requirements --

Your assumption about the W95 files causing the problem may or may not be correct -- Based on many years of troubleshooting PCs, that would not be my first assumption --

A more likely probability would be that corrupted files on an old hard-drive may have some bad sectors --

Another: some W98 files that the OS needs, or some files that your Apps need, may have been clobbered --

If you want to test your W95 file removal theory-- assuming you can identify the specific W95 files that were saved-- I would Zip those files into a Archive File, then delete the W95 files -- That would make the files non-accessible to the OS, but you could still recover some or all of them if necessary --

Re-boot and see if there is any difference -- If you're satisfied that the problem is fixed, you could either delete the Zip file to give you more HD space, or keep it-- or move it to some external media (HD, CD, etc.)

Assuming that didn't fix anything, I would recommend reinstalling W98 -- It's not too difficult, but if you're not comfortable doing it, you might want to find a Geek who knows what he/she is doing --

Just my $.002 -- Others will differ with what I've suggested --

Good Luck!