Re: Help with setup DTN Sat & TS

  • To: Omega-List@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Help with setup DTN Sat & TS
  • From: Jim Osborn <jimo@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 19:50:18 -0800

On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 10:36:59PM -0500, Karn Shellner wrote:
> Dynastore keeps giving me a message on startup that it
> can't make contact with my new DTN 8080 box. The DTN
> guys spent about 2 hours yesterday and could only
> verify that the box was sending packets, they just aren't
> being picked up by Dynastore...by either serial or ethernet.
> The Dynastore guy hasn't responded so far.
> Did any of you guys get that "can't contact the DTN box
> data engine" when you started with the 8080? How'd you fix it?

Did you change from 8000 or 7000 to 8080, or are you just starting
out with DTN? I can't tell from your note whether you had
Dynastore/DTN working and it stopped, or if you're unable to bring it
up in the first place.

My receiver has "D8080" on the back, and its LCD display says:
Receiver type: Velocity; Model VL1 Ver: 0.0/V1.4.  I'm using the same
one I started out with a couple of years ago.  It's been working fine
from day one.

> Can you take a minute and send me the various settings that
> are working for you.

I only use ethernet; the settings were provided by DTN, and initially
used for Chameleon, which I used for a while while DB was finishing
Dynastore; I think they have the IP addresses pretty much hardwired
into their stuff.  Here's the info on the setup sheet they gave me:

Local PC IP: 10.100.116.140
Local PC UDP Port: 20547
D8000 IP: 10.100.116.110
D8000 Port: 21560

Under Windows Control Panel->Network I have:
TCP/IP Properties:
IP Addr: 10.100.116.140
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

All the other network setup stuff should be obvious, at least to
those that know Windows better than I do... :)

I recall Dynastore came configured correctly out of the box, but
fwiw, here's what I see under "DTN Network Settings":

DTN Receiver Ethernet settings:     Your computer settings:
IP Addr: 10.100.116.110             10.100.116.140
Net Mask: 255.255.255.0             [this line doesn't exist]
Port No: 21560                      20547
[x] Use default box settings        [x] Use default Port Number

Under the Output button, I see:
[x] Set Output to Direct Mode [instead of Socket Mode]
That seems to be a TS4 vs TS2000 thing; I use TS4.

Those seem to be the only interesting settings I can find that
relate to your problem.  If Dynastore can't connect to the DTN
box, that wouldn't have anything to do with your TS Server settings.

Hopefully DB will be able to help if the info above doesn't get
you going.  As Mark suggested, the fundamental test of a DTN setup
is Chameleon.  Have you used that to verify all your plumbing?

> I would like to wish all of you out there in Omega-Land a
> joyous and healthy holiday season and the best and most
> prosperous of all new years for you and your loved ones.

Thanks, Shell.  Same to you and yours,

Jim