Re: Stops and splits

Hello Jimmy,

J> Tony,

J> Are you saying they sold half the shares at the post split price
J> which was below or at your stop price?  As in had a 100 shares XYZ
J> trading 100 with a stop at 90.  Shares started trading at split price
J> and sold 100 shares at 50 or some such price.

I had 100 stocks XYZ with of $100 each. Stop was at $90.
The stops got split.
Now I have 200 stocks XYZ of $50 each with a $90 stop.
Stop breaks instantly and 100 stocks get sold at around $50.
Now I have 100 stocks XYZ left of $50 each.

J> I would be on them right now to find out what you have and what
J> happened.  The example above should be you had an order to sell 100 at
J> 90 stop then they changed it to sell 200 at 45 stop when the shares
J> opened up at the post split price.  Come back to us with a damage
J> report unless there is no damage.
The price I got was very reasonably price. So no real money lost.
But today the stock rose 2+% so I missed that profit.
It's not only about the money I'm missing but also something I like to
learn for the future.
I'm not a day trader so I must rely on stops.
Suppose that shortly alter the split that 'killed'  my stops there is
news about a bookkeeping scandal. Then then I would loose real money.

J> It is the clients responsibility to know about the splits but if they
J> messed up your stop then they are at fault.  Now if you entered the
J> stop after the stock split then you had the order wrong but if they
J> messed up the price then they are at fault.

To be honest I didn't know about the split.
But when entering an order always triple check the RT price before I
submit.
I was/am just under the impression that if they split my stocks value
they split everything that's connected to it accordantly.

Thanks for your answers.

--
Best regards,
Tony