Re: OT- Dell Dimension, Celeron vs Pentium 4

> Like someone else, I'd suggest AMD - you'll get far more bang for
> the buck. After having used only AMD for the last 3-4 years, I have
> hard time understanding why anyone would use the more expensive Intel
> with generally less performance.

I've found that AMD chips run extremely hot.  A slight error when
installing a heat sink (didn't get perfect contact) resulted in
an instantly-fried XP1700+.  Even with several noisy fans and a
heavy-duty heatsink, the CPU still runs more than 55degF above
ambient with no load, and another 15-20deg hotter under load.  I
can quite literally heat my 12x15' office with the heat from my
Athlon system.

I'm not sure if it's still true with current-generation Pentiums,
but you used to be able to run them with almost no heatsink/fan
without meltdown.  My wife's 2.4GHz Celeron system runs much
quieter than mine because the fans are always stepped down to a
very low speed.

So if heat or noise are concerns, Pentiums might be a better
choice.  And Ivo, you may have had good reliability in the last
few months, but in general hot-running components have more long-
term reliability problems than cooler components.

Gary