Re: OT- Dell Dimension, Celeron vs Pentium 4

  • To: "Romi Ghose" <r.ghose@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: OT- Dell Dimension, Celeron vs Pentium 4
  • From: Ivo Karindi <ivo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 07:39:37 -0500

Hello Romi,

RG> Will the Celeron be a drawback for all this or will it be at least
RG> similar to my existing setup? Thanks in advance for any
RG> advice/feedback.

Like someone else, I'd suggest AMD - you'll get far more bang for the
buck. After having used only AMD for the last 3-4 years, I have hard
time understanding why anyone would use the more expensive Intel with
generally less performance. I was on a vacation this last summer for 2
weeks and had our newly built AMD XP running some testing at the
office *for the whole time*. So, 2 full weeks of 100% processor usage
with TS2K & GlobalServer & intraday data, and it never crashed!!! Do
you call this reliable or what? By the way, the whole hardware setup,
which I assembled myself, cost us, shipped from newegg in May:

1. $69 for the Biostar motherboard
2. $75 for the 2500+ AMD Barton cpu
3. $150 for 1meg of dual-channel Corsair ram
4. $10 for a decent heatsink/fan
5. $75 for a Seagate 40GB 8MB HD (they cost less now)
6. $15 for a very nice mouse and a keyboard
7. $0 for the old box/power supply/monitors/Matrox video/OS
8. $0 for overclocking mildly to 2800+

So for the modest sum of just under $400, we got a *very* reliable and
pretty fast computer that is now running all of our trading real-time
simply because it proved itself so reliable. It has never crashed in
the last 2-3 months, we have had to restart it only for installing
Windows updates or other software but never because of crashes or
instability. By now, prices should have come down somewhat and the
same amount of $ might buy even more performance.

Best regards,

Ivo Karindi
ivo@xxxxxxxxx