Re: MSN Messenger & Net Meeting (TightVNC)

Alex,

I like your TightVNC idea. You may have answers to these related questions:

1) If the computer that you try to reach (TightVNC server) is behind a router (e.g., Linksys router), and the server IP address is shown as 192.168.1.X, how do you reach this computer from the a VNC viewer on the internet? Do you need to do port forwarding or using DMZ host with the router?

2) In the TightVNC FAQ, it was pointed out "In the mean time, if you need real security, we recommend installing OpenSSH, and using SSH tunneling for all TightVNC connections from untrusted networks." Did you install OpenSSH on your computer? If so, how?

Thank you.

hc

Alex Matulich wrote:

Russ,

I and another trading budding are trying to use MSN Messenger &
Net Meeting so we can see each other's computer screen for some
trading ideas that we are sharing.

If that's all you want to do, use tightvnc. Small, fast, free, and
works across platforms, unix, Windows, Linux, whatever. See
http://www.tightvnc.org

We are having trouble because
my hardware firewall seems to block complete communication.

I've never heard of a firewall that can't be adjusted. TightVNC
works fine with mine. It uses port 5900 by default, but I have it
set to use port 23 (the telnet port, which you don't need, and a
windows box has no business running a telnet server anyway, so the
port is available). I use port 23 because the firewall at work has
that port open, and I'm not about to ask my employer to open up port
5900 just so I can interact with my home computer from work.