Re: Trouble downloading large files through ftp

Richard,

Sorry I just sent a empty email.  Been gone for 10 days and not with
it yet.

Are you downloading files like .xpo or .omz? If not then just ignore
this emial.  If you are then read on.

You may be running into a kind of busy problem with the Global Server.
At a certain size the download is complete but the GS is working above
the computers ablility to sort the data out and save it.  My guess is
it is saving pieces to the hard drive and busily trying to get it to
sort correctly with data already in the file.  This can take a lot
longer than the download.  Much longer.  If you do not wait until it
is finished you will corrupt the file.  So you can do one of two things.

1. Use smaller files.
2. Wait it out and monitor it by opening the Task Manager and watching
the application Global Server.  It will show not responding.  Then
switch to processes.  Make sure you have all the columns enabled
and sort by I/O Read bytes and or I/O Write bytes.  The process with
the highest read and write after say 2 to 5 minutes is the process
that is doing the work.  The write file will be MUCH larger than the
file you are downloading.  You do the math on converting KB to bytes.
When it stops writing then the application Global server will show
running and bingo you are done.  How long does it take?  Well when you
are absolutely sure it has taken tooooooo long then it still has more
to go.  If the write file quits then there is a problem.  Then you
need to blow out of the GS and fix your data per my document that I
email to any and everyone.  Let me know if you need it.

If I'm correct about what you are doing then I would hope you have a
backup of your data.  If not then you need to reboot, delete all the
temp files.  I think that is in my fix it paper.  Then backup your
data, then try exporting it and then delete the data.  Not the symbol
just the data.  Then import the data back.  Now try to import the ftp
file.  Another way is to save the ftp file and tell the GS to only
import a smaller time frame of data but I find this tedious as you
still have to wait until it is completely imported and saved before
importing the next chunk.  If you don't wait it will really cause a
slow up trying to finish one as the other is trying to come in.  If
you data is ok, as in exported, deleted and then imported you will
find you can import a really large file much more easily.

Sure hope I'm addressing the correct problem.

Best regards,
  Jimmy Snowden
mailto:jhsnowden@xxxxxxx

Saturday, December 27, 2003, 8:42:25 AM, you wrote:

RS> we are having difficulty downloading large files via
RS> ftp from a our website to a local machines. We can
RS> download files of up to ca 2,000 - 4000 kb but larger
RS> files will not cease downloading at 100% but continue
RS> downloading indefinitley, and thus corrupt the file.
RS> We can upload files of any size via ftp without
RS> problem. We have tried multiple ftp programs, binary
RS> and text, etc etc, and can find no reason why the ftp
RS> process works for uploading but not for doenloading,
RS> and why only for large files above that size limit.

RS> Wondering if any of the smarter folk on this list
RS> might have a suggestion of where to look for a
RS> solution tomthis problem.  We're feeling particularly
RS> stupid at this point...

RS> What is the error message?
RS> There is no error message, just that when the
RS> downloaded file size reaches 100%, it does not stop
RS> but keeps on going indefintiely.

RS> Eternal blessings in advance if anyone knows what is
RS> ging on here.

RS> Richard

RS> =====
RS> "Trading is a way of walking, not a way of talking."

Outgoing mail scanned by Norton