Trouble downloading large files through ftp

we are having difficulty downloading large files via
ftp from a our website to a local machines. We can
download files of up to ca 2,000 - 4000 kb but larger
files will not cease downloading at 100% but continue
downloading indefinitley, and thus corrupt the file.
We can upload files of any size via ftp without
problem. We have tried multiple ftp programs, binary
and text, etc etc, and can find no reason why the ftp
process works for uploading but not for doenloading,
and why only for large files above that size limit.

Wondering if any of the smarter folk on this list
might have a suggestion of where to look for a
solution tomthis problem.  We're feeling particularly
stupid at this point...

What is the error message?
There is no error message, just that when the
downloaded file size reaches 100%, it does not stop
but keeps on going indefintiely.

Eternal blessings in advance if anyone knows what is
ging on here.

Richard

=====
"Trading is a way of walking, not a way of talking."