RE: Trouble downloading large files through ftp

Is it possible that your ISP has imposed some sort of download/bandwidth
governor?

If you've got Linux on the server, you can run tcpdump to trace the packet
connection to what sort of data is going back/forth. It won't conclusively
tell you if the ISP is dropping packets, but it may help give you some
insight
into what's going on.