RE: Who is afraid let their systems run unattended?

I just got back from thanksgiving vacation with TradeStation 7.1 running
unattended for 4 days.  However that doesn't mean I have supreme confidence.
Its just that the pros of running unattended out weigh the cons.

I believe it is essential to have one computer solely devoted to trading -
don't use this for general web surfing, e-mail or any security threats.
Don't let it get cluttered with toys - media/games/etc etc that usually
comes with XP home addition.  I have a second desktop that run MSFT aps and
is my web portal and toy store.  I run SpyBot, McAfee, etc to keep it
secure.

I use cable modem, and consider a high quality router/firewall between it
and my LAN to be very important.  both run off a separate UPS.

My trading computer is nothing special - just a compaq evo bought for $ 600.
1.8 GHz, 512 MB Ram, XP Home Addition.  It runs off a 1000 watt UPS.

I have applied the streamlining patches suggested earlier on Omega-List.  I
have added a dual video card and a 2nd 40g hard drive for backup.  I run
DriveImage 7 for automated backups and love it.  once per quarter, I restore
back to the original drive image thereby getting rid of any accumulated
garbage.

I think one of the most important things is keeping the computer uncluttered
and, through experience, develop the confidence it will run for a week.

When I leave it, I strip all the unused workspaces out of TradeStation 7 and
shut down all unused programs - it is only running TS7.

I swing trade, using TS7 for entries and exits intraday so my experience may
not be relevant if you are an intraday momo trader.

My platform is typically managing 5 to 15 active or stalking
workspaces/trades.

IMHO one has to be a bit philosophical about unattended operation.  Sure,
occasionally the system gets locked or Tradestation re-does the data feed
requireing intervention to restart the autotrade.  But before autotrading,
we accepted long periods of free running trades - its part of the risk.  I'd
say in the balance I've made more while unattended than I have lost to
various effects (BTW:  getting locked out sometimes saves a premature
stoploss).

When I am going to be gone for a couple weeks, I set up to run remotely
using vnc.  That works fine.  You can use a remote laptop logged in on a
roving dialup or WiFi at a Starbucks if you're prepared for the security
risk.  With vnc you can close down TS7 and restart the computer to get rid
of accumulated memory problems.

Also, on these long trips, if I'm going to have a substantial long or short
position, I will buy put/call options as  'insurance' against a major market
dump or rally - that way I know the worst that can happen is 10% trading
capital loss from a terrorist attack, black monday, or such.

I know that many of the guys on Omega-List have much more advanced systems -
with very high quality servers and dual broadband hookups.  I did too!  But
I thought you would be interested hearing from a minimalist that is quite
happy running unattended.

regards, daver