RE: laptop recommendation

I believe important features are:
1>  A large flat panei - IE 15.1" or something that will display 1280 x 1024
(768?) (the vertical may be less, but you should get 1280 across).  This is
because trading programs display better with more pixels.  Not so obvious is
the fact that you may want to remotely access Tradestation running on your
desktop with some remote viewer like vnc.  If so, it is quite handy to run
the desktop at 1172 x 864 and the laptop at 1280 (this puts the remote TS in
an inner window rather than taking the whole viewing area) .
2>  Dual monitor support.  I was surprised to find a compaq at costco with
the above mentioned display AND Radeon 9200 video.  When I'm operating this
in my office I get the advantage of expanding my 'desktop' over two
displays.  This is a hard feature to find off-the-shelf (costco was amazing
in this regard) but can be ordered from dell (and IMHO is very worthwhile).
NOTE: it is also very hard to discern from the specs and store personnel are
useless - as far as they are concerned if there is a vga plug in the back it
is dual monitor - this is definitely not true.  You need internal video that
drives two separate displays (one the internal LCD).
3>  WiFi built in.  Self explanatory.
4>  Latest Centrino and/or mobile processor.  Of course centrino supports
WiFi natively.  The mobile processor extends battery life and if you leave
it on 24x7 at home like I do, cuts dowm elec bills and heating effect.
5>  at least 512 MB Ram

IMHO processor speed is not an issue these days.

Once you go for a big enough display to be useful for trading, you are no
longer in the lightweight class, so you might as well go big and heavy, to
get all the features and maybe save some bucks.  (BTW:  Previously I had a
laptop that only displayed 800 x 600, so when I traveled I packed a 17" LCD
flat panel, power supplies, etc.  - a big laptop was no big deal after
that!).

I paid $ 1500 for all of the above at a local (Sacramento area) Costco for a
Compaq.  Then tried to buy another - they were out and a search at the major
computer stores in Sacramento area didn't turn up anything close.  I don't
know if you have access to Costco, but their computer buyer really goes out
of her way to order laptops fully configured rather than cut corners (IE as
in the Radeon 9200 video).  If you can find what you want there they can't
be beat but the selection is very slim.   Once a model is sold - that's it.

As some of the other posts suggest - all the top brands are pretty much the
same - just hold out for the features you want at the best price.

Hmmmm, last XMAS there were some great offers from Dell - wonder if that
will repeat - I still need that second laptop!

regards, daver

happy shopping.