Re: Mark Brown Workshop: a quick review

John:

>I NEVER met a seminar teacher who did it "just for the altruistic
>purpose of helping others". Maybe there is one out there?

What have I been doing on this list, helping others for free?

No, it's not altruism.  I don't believe altruism exists.  We all do
things in our own self-interest.  For me, I know that helping others
will result, in some later time, in someone helping me.  Helping
others has given me exposure that resulted in developing mutually
beneficial relationships with other traders.

>venture that the vast majority of seminar leaders in the futures
>industry do it because they cannot make any money trading.

Yes, but don't apply generalities to specific people.  I would
guess that Mark isn't one of those who can't make money trading.
There are plenty of people who trade for a living.  I know some of
them.  If one of them decides he or she wants to share something,
I guarantee it will be more worthwhile than attending a seminar by
Wade Cook or Ken Roberts or Steve Cox or whoever.

>They are most ALL in it for the money. If they were not, they would
>hold seminars for free at their houses.

Wrong.  Charging a fee makes sense.  It weeds out all but the
more serious traders who are worth teaching.  If I want to share
something about my life's work, why should I waste my time on a
student who's only casually interested?

>I suggested that Mark may get more participants if he posted
>performance results of his systems. In essence that's showing
>potential students the VALUE of what they would receive at the
>seminar (the code).

Maybe he doesn't want more participants.  And I find little value in
a teacher giving out code.  I'd rather learn the rules, logic, and
rationale behind how a person trades.  Then I can code it myself if
I want to.  You can't teach people how to trade by giving them code.
I don't know of anybody who consistently has success with black-box
systems, and giving code to someone who doesn't understand the rules
and logic, is like giving them a black box.

-Alex