RE: Re[2]: OT Firewall/VPN Appliances

You may find that using both a hardware and a software firewall is best.
Last time I looked at hardware firewalls, none of them did much for outgoing
traffic.

The generally accepted best Windows firewall seems to be ZoneAlarm Pro at
www.zonelabs.com.  It will give you all of the attempted external and
internal invalid access attempts that you select. You can supplement it with
VisualZone, which will take the log and send it periodically to your access
or network provider to track down and take action (maybe) against the
perpetrators.

Someone told me that ZoneAlarm Pro might not work with some models of
hardware based firewalls, though.  I don't know which ones. Blackice is a
competitor to ZoneAlarm Pro, works on some of those that ZoneAlarm Pro does
not, but is otherwise not as good as XAP.

Here are some sites that may help:

http://grc.com/su-firewalls.htm

http://www.homepcnetwork.com/

http://www.homenethelp.com/

http://www.freenetworks.org/

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/

http://www.pcflank.com/art21.htm has free testing of your connections for
how secure they are; plus good info.

Microsoft has an interesting free test tool for vulnerabilities, called
Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer.  At
http://download.microsoft.com/download/win2000platform/Install/1.0/NT5XP/EN-
US/mbsasetup.msi when I downloaded it months ago, might be someplace else
now. It is mostly for virus and other security holes on your server or PC,
more than for networking access attempts.

Vince Heiker
Flower Mound, TX