From: Jim Johnson [mailto:jejohn@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 9:17 PM
To: Omega List
Subject: OFF TOPIC: airlines

Hello Omega,

  I've  had several conversations with friends recently
about why the
large airlines are so screwed up and going/gone bankrupt.
But no one
has a really good explanation for why they are so bad and
why they have
made not money in 15 years or so.  Oil doubled--OK.
interest rates have
generally been decreasing.  Personnel costs--all businesses
have that.
if your business was so dependent on fuel costs, wouldn't
you be the
world's best at hedging; same goes for interest rates. Or
have
contingency plans for something that is virtually
inevitable--oil price
spikes, rate increases, recession?

It sure looks to me like just plain management incompetence.

Anybody have an informed opinion about this?

--
Best regards,
 Jim Johnson