RE: Asking too much ??

At 11:21 AM -0600 12/11/01, Jim Wixson wrote:

>I should have asked: do you know/have you heard of any trading system done
>or capable of being modelled in TS, which brings a reliable, high return?
>This is a research question - I am trying to document results which may have
>been achieved with some consistency by users of Trade Station or similar
>software: what kind of results can we users realistically hope for? I have
>seen a few scattered posts on the subject, but no assessment of results
>achieved by EL Beatles.
>Has anyone systematically recorded this kind of info anywhere?

There is virtually no limit to what you can program in EasyLanguage
if you are reasonably clever and if you need more compute power you
can incorporate more code into dll's. The language is not as general
as a real programming language but good enough. It is pretty easy to
use for simple things.

That said, TradeStation is not MatLab or Excel so if you need really
sophisticated mathematical functions, probably something else might
be better. But the connections within TradeStation to real-time data
feeds, etc., are more convenient than those in applications intended
for more general applications.

There are issues with numeric precision which becomes troublesome if
you do not take it into account when you design your code. It is easy
to get precision errors in intermediate terms that can cause major
errors in results if you are not careful.

The major issue with TradeStation vs. such other packages is the
lousy level of software quality of TradeStation. Users have had to
learn where the bugs are and work-around them since the beginning of
time. You waste a lot of time testing to see how some of the features
and functions REALLY work because they are poorly documented and
can be buggy.

Bob Fulks