RE: Computer for Trade Station

Hope my feedback helps:

> Dr. Hermansen wrote:
>
> My little 450 mhz chip is just not cutting it for real time charting and
> radar screen.
>
> Here are my options:
>
> 1. Dual 366 ppga Celerons overclocked at 550 each = 1100 mhz total
>
> This running on Win 2000.   Dual's work best on Linux.
> Does TS2ki work on a Linux platform?

* Tradestation was written for the Win32 API (windows 95/98/NT/2000
operating systems only).  It will not work on Linux unfortunately.  It would
require a rewrite of some API calls and a recompilation of the program.

> Does Linux make possible the use of multiple graphics cards?  If not, I'll
> just wait until February for the
> release of Windows 2000 (cost will be $320)

* I just started using Linux recently and have heard of people using
multiple monitors with the O/S.  But can't give any details  :(

> 2.  Dual 500 mhz Celerons.  Anyone know if these can be overclocked?

* You already overclocked them - from 366 from what you stated above.  :)
Look at www.cantek.com for overclocked Celeron systems.  This would be an
economical choice and still give you Dual processor.

> 3.  One Athelon, say a 700mhz.  Fantastic floating point.

* Athelon is a decent chip but I'm an Intel guy.  Besides I do software
design and as a hobby, 3D Graphics/Animation - the PIII series has the best
floating point/MMX support that I've seen...so far.

> 4.  Dual Pent III

* One of my systems is a Dual PIII - very good system IMHO.  Built on an
ASUS P2B-DS motherboard.

> Any guru out there have opinions?  Pros/cons of each?  Would the dual
> celey's make up for lack of floating point compared to one Athelon?  How
> important is floating point?

* The best IMHO is a dual PIII but that may not be financially feasible.  My
second choice would be the Dual Celeron but I have no direct benchmarks to
compare it to a Athelon.  You can't add the CPUs to state you have 1100mhz
performance or even 700Mhz.  It depends on a number of things such as :
  - Was the application written to be multi-threaded?
  - How much support does the application in fact provide for
mult-threading?
  - Dual processors are ONLY taken advantage of with Windows NT (any
version), Linux and Windows 2000.  No other windows OS, not even 98 will
use both processors.

* It is a fact, that if the program is written proplerly you should see a
LINEAR PERFORMANCE INCREASE on the addition of each CPU.   So if you have 2
CPUs running Windows NT/2000 and running a multi-threaded application it
will run approximately TWICE as fast on a dual processor system than on a
single processor.

* Again, I want to re-iterate there are 3 important parts to this equation:
Operating System support for multi-processors, Application written to
support Multi-threading AND it uses it to such a degree that the program
loads enough code on each CPU to provide the increased performance.

> I keep reviewing Matrox.com for a video card that runs 4 monitors.  Anyone
> heard of these from Matrox?

* I know of the Matrox G400 but dont know about a 4 monitor support
card...but why would you want that?

> The G400 dual heads would be nice, but would really like quads.  I'm not
> interested in Appian, Colorgraphics, etc.
>

> Dual celerons overclocked for a
> total of 1100mhz with the Abit mothreboard for $335.00.

* Again, you really can't add the CPUs together to say you have 1100mhz.

> Abit BP6 (Retail Box) - ATA 66 support * 2- 3 DAY WAIT * with cpu - dual
> Celeron 366 PPGA at550 each total 1100MHz w/Global Win CPM 32
> Heatsink fans,
> 3DIMM 1 AGP,5PCI,2ISA $ 335

* ABIT is a good motherboard - they are a "overclockers dream*.  I prefer
ASUS, consider them the cadillac but I dont overclock  :)

* I would recommend at least 128mg RAM.  Buy this system with the intention
of running Windows 2000.  I use Windows 2000 at home as I do software
development and LOVE IT.  I've crashed NT plenty of times (never crashed
linux ONCE yet btw) but Windows 2k has been extremely stable and I like the
User INterface.  As it's based on NT it requires a good amount of RAM.  If
you really want to step up your system, like I upgraded mine, get a
motherboard (or add-on SCSI card) that supports SCSI (Narrow, Wide and
Ultra-Wide) and buy a Seagate Cheatah SCSI Hard Drive (or a competitor)  I
like the Cheatahs because, well they are necessary for video editing and
dont have thermal-recalibration (thats hard to find and kinda expensive)
You dont necessarily need the Cheatah line for a SCSI hard drive but I like
them.  You cant get a faster HD system unless you go RAID.   The best EIDE
Hard drive imho is the IBM Deskstar series - stick with a drive of 7400 (or
is it 7500rpm) or more.

Someone mentioned they've been reading up on this and get only 50%
performance increase on 2nd CPU - this is NOT true.  (Hope that didnt come
across wrong).  But for reasons as explained earlier you should see a LINEAR
performance increase as CPUs are added.

> Omega's site says TS has been written to take advantage of dual cpu's.

* Omega also says their product works  :)   Again, it depends to what degree
they have provided support for multi-threading.

> I'm not a techno wizard at all.  What does Omega mean that it can take
> advantage of
> dual cpu's?  Is TS  written so that one CPU will strictly run the Global
> Server?  Any thoughts?

* No, one CPU is not assigned to a specific application.  As a program
executes it should create threads for most time-consuming functions.  For
instance, you want a real-time plot of a stock with MACD and Stochastics.
As each tick comes in it may have a thread for calculating each of those
indicators.  So, while one processor is calculating the MACD the other may
be working on Stoch.  Granted this is a simple example but I hope you get
the idea.  AFter those calculations are done one processor might be plotting
the stock chart itself and the other handle background system processes.
This is all invisible to the user - it should just run faster  :)

I hope this helps and made some sense, I'm kinda tired and punchy so if you
need a better explanation on some items please let me know.

- Joe Stratmann