Re: interpretting PingPlotter/Cable modems

This is taken from the Comcastonline.com web site's FAQ re: DSL Vs Cable.
FWIW Comcast is a cable company.

I've heard that DSL is a dedicated line and cable is a shared line, what
about that?

That is partially true. Cable lines are shared within a neighborhood and if
a number of subscribers in the same neighborhood all ask to download files
at the same time, performance will be slowed. What the DSL folks are not
telling you is that while DSL subscribers do not share the line in their
neighborhood, they do share the link between their central office and the
network backbone, so the bottleneck still occurs during peak usage - it just
occurs in a different place in the network. Also, DSL slows down the further
you get from their central office.

Patrick White