Re: interpretting PingPlotter - security with cable modems

Concerning security with cable modems:

I have a cable modem with an NT machine.    In Control Panel, Network I
disabled TCP/IP and the cable modem network card under the "Server" service.
As I understand it, the Server service provides the sharing of your computer
over a network, so my thinking is that with the Server service disabled for
the TCP/IP cable net, I'm fairly well protected from break-ins.

You can also disable sharing of your hard drives, which also prevents
another computer on your LAN from accessing your computer used to access the
internet.   However that computer can still access other computers on the
LAN.

As far as speed, Media One guarantees at least ISDN speed, which is fine for
my needs.

The major problem with cable is outages on your local cable net, so I'm
signing up with one of those "free" dial-in ISP's as a back-up.   Media One
has a backup dial-in ISP for "mobile access", that is travelling, but says
you can't use the dial-in back-up if your local cable net is out.