Re: interpretting PingPlotter

Larry wrote:
> Another consideration is the ease of breaking into your computer & local
> net. A small survey in the firewall newsgroup indicated that one could
> expect 10-12 break-in attempts per day with a large cable system sharing
> many users.

Yup and it's hard to do a bulletproof firewall if you are receiving
realtime internet quotes. You have to leave a port open for the quotes.
For a clever cracker, that's an open door to your online trading
account.

I don't know much about this stuff.... just enough to know I'd want to
hire a security expert to help me hook a trading LAN to a cable modem.
You've got some tough decisions to make. For example, with quote.com,
you may have to give up the ability to automatically swap quote servers
on the fly in order to get a reasonable level of security. Then, if the
qcom server you chose gets too busy, you're hosed.... no quotes.

--
   Dennis