RE: Defragging Win NT (Was: How to get TS2k to run well (was 2K for sale)}

I hate to keep defending DK since Im only a user but here is a thought.
True that free defragger in Win95/98 and Norton Speed Disk makes perfect
defrag in those operating systems.  But is a picture perfect defrag what you
really want.  I think not.  If you arrange every file contiguously with no
free space in between where are the file fragments going to go the instant
you start using the computer.  To the end of the drive beyond the defragged
files.  This means parts of files are instantly physically far apart.  DK
uses a more intelligent scheme which keeps free space scattered here and
there near file types that will fragment upon use.  That way the read/write
heads dont have to move so far.
Also NT is harder to defrag due to MFT and paging file.  DK5 has new
features which keep these files from fragmenting.  Until somebody does a
scientific speed test on the defraggers to determine performance all I have
to go on is my perception.  I tried Fixit by Mijenix and Diskeeper.  DK won
hands down.  I refuse to buy Norton for NT because it is too damn expensive.
Norton does not sell SpeedDisk separately.
Bill Wood