How to back up data?

Having had a recent virus scare that nearly wiped me out, I have now awoken
from my incredibly naive state of stupidity, to realise the importance of a)
having a virus checker that is current and b) backing things up!!!

Never having done it before(!) can someone explain the process to moi?  I'm
using TS 4.0 with Signal, Win95.  Exactly what TS folders and files I should
be backing up.  Is it simply c:\omega *.* ?  or is just the main .dat file
enough?

Any other PC/OS related files that you recommend backing up as good
housekeeping?  I'm sure that a few people have a backup routine that they
follow weekly, monthly etc.  An explanation of your routine in "laymans
terms" would be very much appreciated.  Aside from TS, the only things I
care about are my Word, Quicken and Eudora (email) files.

Can you also recommend, best device to use (Iomega Zip?) and a web site that
sells said device for a decent price?

Any advice is very much appreciated.

Simon.