Re: Viability of Internet RT feed - dish adjustments

  • To: OMEGA-LIST@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Viability of Internet RT feed - dish adjustments
  • From: "Gerrit Jacobsen" <jrt@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 16:57:38 -0500 (EST)

Tony,

> Contrary to your
> statements, rain fade IS a problem in the southern US where I live
> regardless of the dish size or LNB.

If this was an unsolvable problem then no telecom company in the
world could keep up their satellite links during bad weather. I can
only tell you that we have heavy storms and rain as well and I don't
have any fades in KU band.

> When you get a storm surge from a 60 to
> 80 mph squall line and a hard, driving rain, you WILL lose signal...period.

I am not jealous of your wheather conditions there
BUT
1. whether the dish bends during storm depends on its quality
2. The signal quality is directly related to
a)  the amount of water between you and the satellite
b)  the size of the dish.
c)  the quality and type of the LNB and dish (meshwire ?)
d) the "general" strength of the signal in your area

This means the more rain you have the bigger the dish must be in
order to compensate for this.

> I suspect that the rain fade woes may be due to water
> adsorption and hence greater signal attenuation in the Ku frequency band
> than in the microwave frequency band.

Exactly but the signal doesn't get lost completely it just gets
weaker thats why you need a large dish.

> So a bigger dish size is not necessarily better, though it can't hurt.

I won't dispute that there might be situations where the dish might
have to be so big that it is uneconomical to compensate for heavy
rain with a larger size but this should be only these case once a
year.

I really recommend this little program (SMW-Link) it illustrates
these factors.

Gerrit