Re: Viability of Internet RT feed - dish adjustments

  • To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Viability of Internet RT feed - dish adjustments
  • From: sptradr@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 12:27:40 -0500 (EST)

To clarify some of the technical aspects, both Ku (BMI, DTN, etc.) and X
band (CQG) transmission frequencies lie in the microwave region of the
spectrum. However, according to my remote sensing and image processing
references, there is a dip in the atmospheric transmission percentage of
about 10% due to water absorption (not adsorption) in the Ku band, but none
in the X band.  So, the Ku band transmission frequency is affected to some
degree by atmospheric water, especially during thunderstorms.

-Tony Haas