Re: Online stock trade execution

Thanks for your reply.  I use the BMI feed and average 100 - 150 round
turns/month on the higher volume NASDAQ stocks.  If I understand you
correctly, you are saying that Level II data would allow me an additional
1/8th of a point per trade. I would consider that a big deal indeed if it's
true.  Any thoughts on this?

Let me give you an example of what I mean by unacceptable execution.  On
Fri., Nov. 13, I was long INTC and MSFT and was nicely up in both trades
when I decided to exit at 11:30.  First I needed to move to the order entry
page and that took several seconds as the server response was sluggish.  I
entered the INTC sell order, hit the send button and got the message "server
unavailable", try another.  That required another login and a re-entry of
the sell order.  In short, it took 3 1/2 minutes to get out of that trade
and then I had to repeat the process for MSFT. It took about the same amount
of time and combined, these delays cost me over 1/2 point and compared with
previous similar occurrences, that's not bad.  The previous week, I lost 7/8
of a point on INTC alone in the same fashion.  It is happening to me at
least once a week.

Correcting this problem alone will pay the difference between $10 and $20 in
base commissions, but what about the fees?  You mentioned "lightweight"
execution systems and I've checked them out, but who would you consider
"heavyweight" execution systems?  I would really appreciate opinions as to
what firm is really the best at this.