RE: Online stock trade execution

John,

It's not the L2 data per se that can save you 1/8 or so.  Maybe the L2 will allow you to time your entries and exits better and maybe it won't.  That's a matter of experience, timing, and skill.

But the near instant posting of your execution orders seems to be your current goal.  A broker using RealTick(such as MBT) or CyberTrader will allow quick posting of your orders.  You still may not get instant executions depending on the route you select, the activity in the stock and the MM actions.  But you will certainly get better executions than going thru any web based broker.  In most cases on an active stock such as INTC or MSFT you will get instant executions if you buy at the ask and sell at the bid.  An additonal feature that you will have is the ability to post your bids and offers via one or more ECNs at the inside market or to make a new inside market.  Some web based brokers such as Datek will also allow this but you will have the option of selecting from more than one ECN.  Additionally you will be able to trade before and after market hours via ECN or Selectnet.

Bottom line is:  it's not a holy grail but with some experience and practice you will have much better control of your trading destiny.

The lite package that MBT offers is basic quotes and execution package without L2 display.  You can opt for L2 data with this if you use another display software package that works off of RT3 feeds such as the Roberts-Slade package.  Depending on which display and data package you opt for and how many trades a month you do, you may get the software and data for free.

Ron