Re: daily/weekly EL system?

At 8:47 PM -0800 1/12/98, Phil wrote:

>If someone has or could write an EL code that uses a running 5 days for an
>indicator etc. then you could have a weekly indicator in a daily chart!
>The running indicator as an example would say run from last monday to this
>monday, then on tues. it would run from last tues to this tues. etc. In
>other words compress the last 5 days into a week and do it each a every
>day then you would have a weekly indicator in a daily chart. If anyone has
>any code to do this I would also like to have it!! Also any other ideas
>along this line of thinking would be very helpful!!

Converting a weekly indicator to one working off of daily data is not
complicated but has some quirks, particularly if you want it to get the
same results as the weekly charts and account correctly for holidays. (Of
course, it is just an indicator and so an approximation might work just as
well as an exact calculation.)

Below is an example of a function that is evaluated every Friday, or at the
beginning of the next week if Friday was a holiday.

This is a Function and to verify, it must be named "XAverage.Wk". If you
name it anything else, you must change the code to correspond.

Since it is only evaluated once a week, if you wanted, for example, a 13
week moving average on a weekly chart, you need to use 13 as the length
input for this function.

Bob Fulks

{ *******************************************************************

  Function     : XAverage.Wk

  Last Edit    : 1/13/98

  Provided By  : Bob Fulks

  Description  : This is a recoding of the XAverage function as a
      weekly function operating on daily bars. Is it recalculated
      each Friday or at the start of the next week if the last bar
      was not a Friday. For correct results it must be evaluated
      on every daily bar.

********************************************************************}
inputs : Price(NumericSeries), Length(NumericSimple);
vars   : Factor(0), XLast(0), DoW(0);

DoW = DayOfWeek(Date);

if Length + 1 <> 0
then begin
  if CurrentBar <= 1
  then begin
     Factor = 2 / (Length + 1);
     XAverage.Wk = Price;
     XLast = Price;
  end
  else begin

     {If Friday do calculation}
     if DoW = 5 then begin
       Value1 = Factor * Price + (1 - Factor) * XLast;
       XAverage.Wk = Value1;
       XLast = Value1;
     end;

     {If new week and last bar was not Friday do calculation}
     if DoW < DoW[1] and DoW[1] <> 5 then begin
       Value1 = Factor * Price[1] + (1 - Factor) * XLast;
       XAverage.Wk = Value1;
       XLast = Value1;
     end;
  end;