Re: Real-time internet feeds and TS

Chris T wrote:

> Several months ago I tested a realtime internet feed from PC Quote, which was
> the best of the bunch. Using a standard telephone line with a 28,800 modem
> connected at 26,400 they were consistently 2 or more seconds faster than a BMI
> cable feed and tick for tick with my brokers SP Comstock satellite feed, tested
> over a four month period, on the S&P and other markets
> Even though these data vendors have negotiated to use dedicated parts of the
> internet infrastructure there are still many links in the chain and hence more
> reliability problems when compared to satellite. I have not had an opportunity
> to calculate the latency from when the clerk hits the enter key at the pit to
> when the quote turns up on my screen but maybe someone else has
> With an internet feed each hop creates a delay of approx 2-300 milliseconds.
> PC Quote had a server farm of twenty to thirty servers at their primary site and
> then built a backup site in another location using a different internet company
> to try and improve reliability, the software automatically changes from server
> to server and then from site to site in the case of problems
> Just my 2 cents :)
>
> Happy New Year
>
> Chris

I also have PC Quote it runs the Ned Davis computer I have. It is satellite fed and I
would assume that if the PC Quote internet feed is as fast as SP Comstock Satellite.
Then the satellite PC Quote would be faster than the internet product. It sets on the
other side of the room from me so its not side by side with the SPC,CQG,BMI feeds.
I never thought to compare, until now which I will today when I go in. You can ping the
server of  any internet quote service and view the hops that a service makes to get to
you. Also in Win95 when you do this if one of the jumps has a * beside it has a
problem and had to be rerouted, which happens quite often I have found. So I give up
on internet feeds for now. If I cant find my own personal T-1 fast enough I doubt any
internet service could satisfactory. That goes for order entries also (just futures) I want
to talk to my broker with my tape running Thank You. Mark