Re: Real-time internet feeds and TS

Hi Mark

On Thu, 01 Jan 1998 10:12:09 -0600, you wrote:

snipped

>I have about all the equipment and different types of data feeds out there,
>and if I don't have them now I've had them in the past. I most recently
>got a T-1 installed to run a stock data feed, which is SP Comstock and
>a Stock trading software by TAL which is part of the Chicago Project.
>Even with this slick commercial setup, I can watch BMI and SP
>Comstock and CQG all on Satellite beat the Quotes given over the T-1
>All Day Long. I don't believe any thing by land line no matter how fast is
>ever going to beat satellite feed. Mark

Several months ago I tested a realtime internet feed from PC Quote, which was
the best of the bunch. Using a standard telephone line with a 28,800 modem
connected at 26,400 they were consistently 2 or more seconds faster than a BMI
cable feed and tick for tick with my brokers SP Comstock satellite feed, tested
over a four month period, on the S&P and other markets
Even though these data vendors have negotiated to use dedicated parts of the
internet infrastructure there are still many links in the chain and hence more
reliability problems when compared to satellite. I have not had an opportunity
to calculate the latency from when the clerk hits the enter key at the pit to
when the quote turns up on my screen but maybe someone else has
With an internet feed each hop creates a delay of approx 2-300 milliseconds.
PC Quote had a server farm of twenty to thirty servers at their primary site and
then built a backup site in another location using a different internet company
to try and improve reliability, the software automatically changes from server
to server and then from site to site in the case of problems
Just my 2 cents :)

Happy New Year

Chris