Re: Backup to another Computer

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<,

> For just 2 computers, you can use the direct connect feature of Win95.
> This hooks the 2 computers together with their parallel ports using a
> special cable.
>
> Regards,
> Paul

The direct parallel cable seems to be what I had in mind.
I tried it using a standard parallel cable I had laying around.
The cable works when hooked to the printer, but the two computers
won't connect through it. Is there a "special" cable that must
be used here?

>I have 2 machines connected like that..Desktop to Laptop..on Win95
>ethernet peer to peer.. It's the best thing since sliced bread..allows
>either to share drives &/or files on the other as local drives..
>Don't fool with the serial/parallel stuff.. If you want a transparent &
>extremely fast connection buy 2 $30 plug&play ethernet cards..
>Install them, let Win95 find 'em, go to Network Neighborhood to connect
>then Map the drives... You'll love it
>Enjoy..
>Robert

Now, I like the idea of shared drives.  We have this capability at
work, in a vast network, but I was not aware though, that it was built
so completely into Win95.  If I would have to buy a special cable for
for the direct method, I'll probably just spring for the ethernet
cards instead, and have it all!

Thanks again,
JP
jpenn@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Win95 does require a special direct connect cable.  I got mine at computer
city.

I also put in ethernet cards over the holidays using thin coax.  10 hours
later, I am still trying to configure the systems to work.  Loads of
problems, such as IRQ conflicts, conflicts with other software (such as
Novell netware), etc.  If you don't already have some sort of networking
installed and have sparsely populated machines, then the ehternet approach
might be pretty simple.  It was certainly not in my case.

OTOH, the direct connect feature worked the first time.  It was easy and
straight forward to install.

If you are new to networking and not a computer guru, and just want to
connect 2 machines, I would still reccommend the direct connect feature as
a good place to start.

Regards,
Paul