[Metastockusers] Re: JO and Postings--A message to Friends and Family

 Ignore this post if you only want to read content which relates
specifically to MS.

> Please don't tell me "you just want to pick my brain." Another name
> for a brain picker is a vulcher. I used to hear that a dozen times
> day when I was speaking around the country.  Let me translate--
I'll
> buy you a cheap lunch so I can get 1000s of dollars of information
> from you for free! Wow, aren't I smart. No, a vulcher is hardly
> smart. My brain is not here for picking, it's here to help me make
> good choices in life, and if you pick it, it might not work anymore.

Ok, JO - you wanted some feedback so here it is :)

You are painting those who want to pick the brains of successful
people with a pretty broad brush. It is clearly incorrect to say that
all people who want to 'pick your brains' are vultures. I said to you
in a private email that I would love to pick your brains, but I spend
a hell of a lot of time trying to do just what you did when you were
younger - that is, work out my problems for myself. I think that some
people who attempt to model their behaviour after those whose success
they want to emulate are simply making great choices. I am just a
lowly jobbing musician, but many younger musicians ask me about
breaking into the jingle world, getting the bigger gigs, protecting
their original material, etc. Sure they want to pick my brains... and
I feel grateful that I am in the position to share any knowledge I
have. I would be thrilled if they could avoid making some of the same
mistakes I made. I am not worried about losing gigs to them, because
I know that I will get my fair share of gigs as long as I want to
play (I'm a little arrogant in that way). If you represent yourself
as someone who has been there and  done it in the past, you should
expect a certain amount of interest and inquisitiveness among those
who are listening. I can't imagine that you want us all to simply sit
at your feet and soak in the
greatness. And another thing... for many of us, the practice of
sharing our knowledge, far from keeping our brains from 'working any
more' actually enhances our own awareness and ideas about the subject
under discussion. Teachers know this phenomenon well - the best way
to make sure your ideas are sound is to try to explain them to
someone else. Every time I do it I realize that there's some gap in
my knowledge. Or is your knowledge that complete that you have
nothing left to learn? I doubt you would say that.

As for the reciprocity issue...I guess you make this complaint just
because you have been inundated with requests for info. It puzzles me
a little that you would be so insistent that others contribute. What
would you have us contribute if we know we are dealing with people
who are far more advanced than us? On the opposite side of this is
the idea that if you have a question that hasn't been answered, there
are probably 10 others out there who have the same quesiton, but I
don't think this is what you mean when you are requesting more
participation.

I didn't see the posts that inspired your comments about Jay T.; I'll
just say that he has been very helpful to me in private emails. Also,
it is obvious to me when someone suggests the use of a product as a
shill (usually this happens repeatedly) as opposed to suggesting it
just because they think that the product may help the person in
question - you recommended the Clayburg book to me but I don't think
you are a shill for him.

> If any of you think what I'm saying is arrogant—great. You can
learn
> from arrogant people, especially ones that have been successful.

You? Arrogant? Nawwwwww :)

But seriously, isn't that what we are trying to do when we ask to
pick your brains?

> If enough people express interest in having me share in this
manner,
> this is what I will do.

Anyone who has a real interest in this stuff would be crazy to turn
down your offer, even if you are delivering the information in a
passive form.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511