RE: Metastock.

<SPAN
class=612530008-03122000>John:
<SPAN
class=612530008-03122000>Thank you for the excellent advise.  I, too, have
worked in the computer business (22 years for me) and I've written some pretty
complex programs.  Reading the indicator descriptions made me wish I'd paid
more attention in math classes!
<SPAN
class=612530008-03122000>
The
picture that's slowly forming is that I use an Exploration to scan a large
number of stocks that meet some criteria.  Then I use the System Tester,
with a test that's somewhat based on the criteria used in the Exploration, to
back test and see if the System would make money on those particular
stocks.
<SPAN
class=612530008-03122000>
<SPAN
class=612530008-03122000>Once I have a System that works I write an Expert that
looks for the criteria that the System Tester used (or can I copy a Tester into
an Advisor?).  I move the stocks that I've selected from the output of the
Exploration into a Watching folder and attach my Expert to each chart.
Then each day, after making sure my Watching folder has been added to the
DownLoader list to get prices updated, I scan manually through each chart
waiting for an Expert alert telling me to take a position.
<SPAN
class=612530008-03122000>
<SPAN
class=612530008-03122000>Once I do, I move the stock into a Long or Short folder
(and add these folders to DownLoader list) and have the same Expert attached and
scroll through them each day waiting for an exit alert, or advise on setting
stops.
<SPAN
class=612530008-03122000>
know this would get more complicated by having several Experts that get attached
& detached - probably offering conflicting advise, but is this the basic
method of using MS?  Explorations find stocks that meet a criteria so they
can be segregated and have an Expert attached and be manually scrolled through
each day looking for alerts?
<SPAN
class=612530008-03122000>
<SPAN
class=612530008-03122000>Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr
style="BORDER-LEFT: #008000 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">
  <FONT
  face=Tahoma>-----Original Message-----From:
  owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On
  Behalf Of jhmtnSent: Friday, December 01, 2000 12:42
  PMTo: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: Re:
  Metastock.
  Bill,

  I'm another "newbie". I call myself that although I've had the
  product for several years, it has only been the last 6 months that I've taken
  the time to really learn how the coding for explorations
  and indicators works.  (I haven't written my own exploration yet,
  but that is coming -- real soon now.)

  1. My advice is go slow and don't frustrate yourself!  Expect to
  spend some time to
  really understand how the functions work.  It took me several months
  of writing explorations to get a real "ah-ha" experience, and I was a
  programmer at one point in my career.
  2. Read, re-read, and work at your computer with your book at your side
  and look it up if you don't know.
  3. Start with writing some simple explorations.  One way to do that
  is to pick one that comes with the program and copy it into a new one, then
  change it.  The packaged one may come with a 14 day period for example
  --- so change that to a 8 day or a 13 day period and run it.
  4. Create some utility explorations -- like find issues that may have
  split yesterday or find issues in your files that no longer trade.  (I
  have a version of these I've written if you run into trouble).
  5. Create a simple 1 moving average exploration. once that works expand
  it into a 2 moving average crossover system.
  6. Now tackle some momentum indicators similar to #5.
  7. Now comine MA's and momentum indicators.
  8. Read Technical Analysis of Stock and Commodities magazine and
  implement the code you find there as indicators.
  9. Go to the Metastock and Guppy sites for other indicators.
  10.  Now go through the book and "play" with some of the functions
  you haven't used in code yet.  Ensure that by writting an exploration for
  them you understand what they do and how they work.  (I found it helpful
  to place a small check mark in the book by each function that I did this for
  and really think that I understand.)

  There is no reason to buy a $5,000 canned system as long as your willing
  to take the time to learn Metastock yourself. There are some things that are
  beyond the current version that I have (7.0) of Metastock.  If you have a
  system that MS just can't handle, then you might want to look into purchasing
  the DLL generator.  I have found that every time I wanted that whiz-bang
  indicator that needed more sophisticated code, that I found some other
  way to accomplish the same thing with what is provided or that the complexity
  of the system was not really needed for my trading style
  (swing-trader, these days in a very short time frame!).

  Hope this helps! .......(And Good Tradin').....................
  John