Re: Metastock.

Bill,

I'm another "newbie". I call myself that although I've had the
product for several years, it has only been the last 6 months that I've taken
the time to really learn how the coding for explorations
and indicators works.  (I haven't written my own exploration yet, but
that is coming -- real soon now.)

1. My advice is go slow and don't frustrate yourself!  Expect to spend
some time to
really understand how the functions work.  It took me several months
of writing explorations to get a real "ah-ha" experience, and I was a programmer
at one point in my career.
2. Read, re-read, and work at your computer with your book at your side and
look it up if you don't know.
3. Start with writing some simple explorations.  One way to do that is
to pick one that comes with the program and copy it into a new one, then change
it.  The packaged one may come with a 14 day period for example --- so
change that to a 8 day or a 13 day period and run it.
4. Create some utility explorations -- like find issues that may have split
yesterday or find issues in your files that no longer trade.  (I have a
version of these I've written if you run into trouble).
5. Create a simple 1 moving average exploration. once that works expand it
into a 2 moving average crossover system.
6. Now tackle some momentum indicators similar to #5.
7. Now comine MA's and momentum indicators.
8. Read Technical Analysis of Stock and Commodities magazine and implement
the code you find there as indicators.
9. Go to the Metastock and Guppy sites for other indicators.
10.  Now go through the book and "play" with some of the functions you
haven't used in code yet.  Ensure that by writting an exploration for them
you understand what they do and how they work.  (I found it helpful to
place a small check mark in the book by each function that I did this for and
really think that I understand.)

There is no reason to buy a $5,000 canned system as long as your willing to
take the time to learn Metastock yourself. There are some things that are beyond
the current version that I have (7.0) of Metastock.  If you have a system
that MS just can't handle, then you might want to look into purchasing the DLL
generator.  I have found that every time I wanted that whiz-bang indicator
that needed more sophisticated code, that I found some other way to
accomplish the same thing with what is provided or that the complexity of the
system was not really needed for my trading style (swing-trader, these days
in a very short time frame!).

Hope this helps! .......(And Good Tradin').....................
John