Re: Market Gurus (William Gann)

Lionel,

As an ex-employee of one of the companies you mentioned, I feel
knowledgeable enough to reply.  One thing the shipping public does
not know is that these 2 behemoths (UPS & FedEx) get only 7 to
12.5 % of their shipping and delivery revenues from shipping to
individuals.  UPS leads FedEx in the shipping to individual market by
about 5% of revenues.

The true bulk of this shipping profit comes from corporate,
industrial, and governmental bulk shipping contracts.  In time of war,
FedEx's planes have even been used by the armed services (as in the
Persian Gulf War).

For this reason, individual prices from UPS and FedEx will only rise
rather than drop as the profit for the companies is not in individual
service.
It is said that the cost of maintaining individual service is so high that
the
founder of FedEx seriously thought about just abandoning that segment of
the market to UPS several years ago.

Until you've visited a routing hub of one of these companies and watched
their routing sort you really can't appreciate the bulk volumes of this
non-individual cargo.

In the US for this reason (and given that the Post Office now has web-based
routing information available) the Post Office can handle next day and 2-day
delivery on par with both UPS and FedEx for individuals at a lesser price
than
either of the other two.

Hope this helps! ....................... John