RE: questions on Explorer/Screening programs

Metastock is not up to the task, unless you explor/screen very few stocks.
Here are some notes compiled to date.  Hopefully others can update and add
better options.

MetaStock Pro
MetaStock will track many stocks on a real time basis, however performance
issues start to occur at relatively small numbers, about 15 on a 667Mhz PIII
with 256M RAM.

TraderBot/TraderAlert (www.traderbot.com)
Can search all stocks in using real time data.  Limited by criteria provided
by TraderBot in designing search.

AIQ / TradingExpert Pro:
Can not use tick data to run searches.
However, can run real-time searches on 1 minute bars.
The maximum number of stocks that can be screened with real time alerts is
700.

FirstAlert by neovest 	www.chartist.com	Windows NT/2000 only
Not clear from WEBsite how powerful Alert function is

Investor/RT  Linn Software:	http://www.linnsoft.com
Need more information

RavenQuote           www.ravenquote.com
RavenQuote has a built in application that will allow you to set alerts based
on custom indicators.  Unknown how powerful this is.

>===== Original Message From "Brian Haviland" <BHaviland@xxxxxxxxxx> =====
>To All,
>Would like to hear from anyone using MS to trade real-time using the Explorer
during the trading day. Some years back I used  MS & Explorer for end of day
position trading. I have been searching for months to try to work out the
right combination for screening/charting/backtesting for real time. My
impression is that Explorer will be too slow to do relatively fast trades
looking to make 1/4 to 1 points -- probably in trade for a few seconds to a
few minutes usually. Is that right? Omega's RadarScreen looks better with its
dynamic updating but there have been complaints about ProSuite2000i and it
looks like they're going to web based products so the whole thing is up in the
air. FirstAlert is great screening but no backtesting and currently having
data problems. At the moment it looks like I'll go with Ravenquote/QCharts
(only visual backtesting but good price) but I thought I would post here to
see if my assumption about Explorer is wrong -- I feel nostalgic about MS! ;-)
 Any thoughts/comments welcome.