Re: Win98 with 2 monitors (slightly off topic)

Wsb,

First, dual monitor capability is the reason I upgraded from w95 to w98.
Second, there have been a few messages on this recently.  1st, check
with your current video card manufacturer to see if the card will
support multiple monitors under W98. If they do, you only need to buy
one more video card, just make sure that it too supports multiple
monitors.  Some cards will not (for example an older number nine video
card that came on a dell p166 I use). Video cards are pretty cheap, you
don't need really expensive cards.

That said, there are several one card solutions for multiple monitors,
but they're more expensive than buying two $50-$100 video cards. In some
case they will support more than two monitors per computer.  See

http://www.appiangraphics.com/

 http://www.colorgraphic.net/

I used Appian cards for several years, primarily because when I bought
their cards they would work under dos, win 3.1, win95, win 98 and NT.
With w98 supporting mm's there is little need for the expensive cards,
unless you want more than two monitors on the same pc. Since W98 came
out, I've ended up buying two of the same model number video cards which
work fine, typically with S3 chips.

Someone also pointed out that Dell had a dual monitor card.  I've not
looked into it and don't know if they sell it as an individual item or
not.

Ps, I don't know why your question wouldn't be welcome here. Thanks for
asking. I find this list useful in all sorts of aspects, a lot more
useful than where I used to hang out.

Frank