Re: OT-Hard disk Help Needed

At 04:29 PM 11/6/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Just a quick question.
>
>a) I removed a partition that I had on one of my hard drives (ie.  I removed
>drive e:).  It was a partition of c:.  After the removal (with FDisk) I
>don't get a larger c: drive.  The hard disk is 3.1GB and that should all be
>the c: drive.  I am only getting a reading of 1.9GB.
>
>b) On startup if I enter setup there is a 3.1GB hard drive.  It appears that
>windows is not recognizing the extra 1.2 GB or that the C: drive must be
>reconfigured.
>
>Any suggestions would greatly help.
>
>Thanks in advance for any leads,
>
>Ed

I'm not 100% certain on this, but I think what you're seeing here is this:

When you start the computer the BIOS sees the complete size of the hard
drive without regard to how it is partitioned --  it's showing the original
"out-of-the-box" capacity specification based on cylinders/heads/sectors.
There is no operating system yet awakened in your computer at this point in
start up -- so whatever an OS has done to partition your HD is not yet at
issue, so to speak.

If you remove a partition, the disk space it occupied does not then get
added back on to the other remaining partitions automatically. The others
(in this case, your C: drive) do not increase in size just becuase you
eliminated E:. If you want this space added back to C: you have to go on to
repartition the whole drive so that you can reset the size of C:. The
Partition Manager-type programs may be able to do this without recourse to
DOS, but FDISK won't do it for you all by itself.

If you use the old Windows3.x File Manager, BTW, to look at your drives,
you will never see more than 1.99G listed in the Status Bar, though it will
show all the files on all partitions no matter how large the drive. Only
Explorer and other true W9x programs will show full values.

Again, this is my best understanding of this stuff but I could be wrong
about some of it and would be glad to be corrected as needed, as it's
useful stuff to know.

Best regards--

Chuck Engstrom