Re:[Fwd: Re: Installation hangover - a plea !!!]

This doesn't look like a bug to me.  The data window displays the downloader
values rounded up to two decimal places.  Common rounding would add .005 to the
value and then drop the remaining digits.  Note that some statistical rounding
schemes may alternate between rounding a value up or down, which isn't practical
for general purposes.  The downloader values are displayed to four decimal
places.  There can be discrepancies between display procedures

The numerical value the program manipulates is not an exact representation of
either value, since it is a binary number.  The downloader typically takes a
text number and converts it to binary.  The data window then converts the number
back to text to display it.  A bit or two lost in each conversion can result in
small differences.  Any computed results using the internal value may contain
small rounding differences, depending on the magnitude and number of
calculations.

Gary Randall -- Brunswick, Maine

Data Window shows
O  27.38
H  28.00
L  27.31
C  27.56

while in Downloader
O  27.3750
H  28.0000
L  27.3125
C  27.5625

Changing to fractions in Downloader (1/32) produces absolutely correct values in
Data Window:
O  27 12/32
H  28
L  27 10/32
C  27 18/32

I guess an Equis programmer who was the last to visit those lines of codes for
Data Window,
inadvertently dropped a random number generator which rolled someplace under
lines of decimal
conversion and was left unnoticed :-) .

Cheers, Vitaly

Joseph Ehardt wrote:

>  Vitaly. First, in MS I have 2 decimal rounded on 5.28.92 for SII in the data
window. I close the
> chart and open it with Downloader. It has 3 decimal accuracy for that date. I
close the chart in
> Downloader and reopen it in Metastock, and then the data window shows 3
decimal accuracy. There's
> a clue buried in there, but MS is seemingly "random" in its choice of 2 or 3
decimal
> representation. I see the problem but do not have a hypothesis for what is
causing MS to be
> inconsistent. Joe
> Al Taglavore wrote:
>
>> Do you have fractions (1/16) checked in the Data Pane of the Downloader?
>> The data window is going to reflect the value you have in the downloader,
>> huh?
>>
>> Al Taglavore
>>

> Guy Tann wrote:
>
>> Vitaly
>>
>> I'll go you one better.  Depending on the day, MS rounds my indicators to
>> various decimal positions.  For one indicator, I might have 5 decimals on
>> one day, the next day will find it rounded to 2 decimals, the next day 4
>> decimals, etc.  No rhyme or reason that I can discern.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Guy
>> Fax (630) 604-1589

&nbsp;
the God didn't single only me out&nbsp; to punish for some (TA?) sins.
Since there is no problem with accuracy when working with fractions in
Data Window, and when opened in Downloader data shows all right, it seems
just a sloppily done conversion job to decimals in MS 6.52.
in Data Window?
for AU Data Window shows
values in Data Window:
codes for Data Window, inadvertently dropped a random number generator
which rolled someplace under lines of decimal conversion and was left unnoticed
:-) .
in MS I have 2 decimal rounded on 5.28.92 for SII in the data window.</font>
accuracy for that date.</font> <font size=-1>I close the chart in Downloader
and reopen it in Metastock, and then the data window shows 3 decimal
accuracy.</font>
in its choice of 2 or 3 decimal representation. I see the problem but do
not have a hypothesis for what is causing MS to be inconsistent.</font>
Pane of the Downloader?
Guy Tann wrote:
decimals on
day 4

style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT:
href="mailto:metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx";>metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx</a>
&lt;<a
1999 12:17 PM</font></font>
- a plea !!!</font></font>