Re: good computers

At 12:44 PM 12/12/98 GMT, you wrote:
>On Fri, 11 Dec 1998 13:10:06 -0500, you wrote:
>
>>I'm in the market for a new computer and would appreciate
>>comments good or bad about Micron, Compaq, Dell or any others.
>>I want more power and it's time to put my pentium 133 machine
>>out to pasture.
>
>Upgraded my system with an ASUS P2 motherboard & Pentium II, PC Power
>& Cooling mini Tower & ATX power supply. Had to buy new memory.
>
>I had to buy a new case and power supply due to the ATX form factor.
>DELL, Compaq are too proprietary. Micron and Gateway are upgradeable.
>
>Used the same video, same HD, same monitor, same keyboard, same
>floppy, etc....
>
>See www.TCCOMPUTERS.COM or www.necx.com for details.  TCComputers will
>put the system together for you, if you are not handy.
>
>-= Chris ß =-
>      /\        /\/
>   /\/  \  /\  /
>  /      \/  \/
>Using MetaStock 6.5 | FastTrack | FastRUBE | FastTools | TC2000

I second the motion -- many of the "name" brand computers have in them so
much stuff that is specially configured to the extent that you can't really
say that their Windows 95 (or 98) boxes subscribe to a presumably "open"
architecture. Many of them are generally pretty good, of course, but
whenever you have a problem you have to call Mr. Manufacturer and wait in
the phone queue for who knows how long. If you are an experienced an
knowledgeable user, think hard about "rolling your own." I did my own three
years ago and have had fewer problems than anyone I know who's bought brand
name.

Chuck Engstrom