From: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Lester Vanhoff
Sent: Tuesday, December 26, 2006 23:28
To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [amibroker] Re: Which Folders Are Shared By Default Between
Multiple AB Installations

Thanks for clarification, TJ. I still would like to have a script that
removes old intraday data from mixed eod/intraday data files. Backfilling
intraday data for hundreds of tickers can bog down the download. I'll create
a separate thread for that. Maybe someone has such a such a script.

Lester

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tomasz Janeczko" <groups@xxx> wrote:

> > 1) There were some reports on this forum from users about formulas that
got "confused" using mixed data.

> No, no formula can be confused if only "mixed EOD/intraday" is ON because
AMiBroker takes all overhead
> of extracing EOD data when periodicity or viewing interval is set to daily
and extracting intraday only if intraday
> viewing interval is picked. From the formula point of view it looks like
you were running separate dbs.

> > 2) How to extract only-eod and only-intraday data for export to ASCii
files, in case you want to use that data with other charting
> > programs.
>
> AA Export

http://www.amibroker.com/kb/2006/03/04/how-to-export-quotations-from-amibrok
er-to-csv-file/

> > 3) Maintaining clean data in mixed mode sounds like a nightmare. What
about a situation when you watch some ticker in RT for a
> > week and then forget about it. You end-up with the file which is mostly
eod and has a few days of RT a few months back. A script
> > to clean this out would be needed.
>
> Not really. If you are using eSignal (which has mixed eod/intraday
supported) it is all backfilled automatically and you can go for
> vacation for 120 days
> and it will still continue to have everything automatically backfilled. In
worst case you just do "force backfill" and you end up
> with correct data.
>

> Best regards,
> Tomasz Janeczko
> amibroker.com
Multiple AB Installations

> >> TJ: when having two installations in DIFFERENT folders there are NO
folders shared by default ...

> > Well, I have v4.80.1 (eod) and v4.89.0 (1 minute) installed on the same
computer in different folders:

> > - E:\AmiBroker
> > - E:\AmiBrokerR
> >
> > Eod database is: D:\AmiBroker\Data2
> > RT database is: D:\AmiBroker\Data4
> >
> > When I first tried to access AA on the new installation it just
defaulted to formulas folder from the old installation. After
> > fixing that and then trying to access AA from the old installation, it
opened formula folder from the new installation. This must
> > have something to do with the registry. Personally, I find it better to
use a single folder for both installations and have no
> > complaints.
> >
> >> TJ: You don't need two installations. From Single installation you can
run multiple times and load different databases.

> > Switching between databases when you trade in real time is inconvenient.
"Mixed eod/intraday" data sounds like a solution but
> > there are a few issues:
> >
> > 1) There were some reports on this forum from users about formulas that
got "confused" using mixed data.

> > 2) How to extract only-eod and only-intraday data for export to ASCii
files, in case you want to use that data with other charting
> > programs.
> >
> > 3) Maintaining clean data in mixed mode sounds like a nightmare. What
about a situation when you watch some ticker in RT for a
> > week and then forget about it. You end-up with the file which is mostly
eod and has a few days of RT a few months back. A script
> > to clean this out would be needed.
> >
> > ------------
> >
> > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tomasz Janeczko" <groups@> wrote:
> >>
> >> You don't need two installations. From Single installation you can run
multiple times and load
> >> different databases (File->Open database).
> >>
> >> And NO, when having two installations in DIFFERENT folders there are NO
folders shared by default, except
> >> if you set your own custom shared folders for formulas (via Prefs).
What is shared is REGISTRY - there is
> >> ONE registry entry PER WINDOWS USER. If you want separate entries you
need to login as two different Windows Users.

> >> All in all, single installation and multiple databases is easier and
better setup.

> >> Best regards,
> >> Tomasz Janeczko
> >> amibroker.com
Multiple AB Installations

for intraday). I have noticed that when I use the second

place, but I'm not sure if it's by design or by coincidence
instance of AB I copied all files from Formulas and Formats
figure out what's shared by default and what's not.