[amibroker] Re: IB forex volumes

Hi Richard,

Thank you for the information you provide.
I have to admit I was citing a source I was not really confident about
regarding the 1% forex exchange traded share, which was a 2004
tradingintl pdf guide to forex markets, not quite updated I suppose

I would like to know what is a more updated and trustworthy reference
and also ask you if you think 10% would still be indicative of the
remaining 90% volume.
In other words are the forex futures volumes correlated to the OTC
volumes , and if yes on which time scale?
I assume different investors trade on the OTC and not OTC market, so
future volumes could be quite different.

Also how much do you think can a small investor trading through a
small broker like IB trust the quotes provided for the spot market?

I guess these are quite obvious questions since everybody would like
to know what are the global forex trading volumes, and from what I
understood the only indication are the open future position reports ,
which again would suffer from a similar weakness.
Currency and future prices must be strongly bounded because of
arbitrage, but for volumes, I am not sure

Thanks

Ly

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Richard Dale" <richard@xxx> wrote:

> Currencies traded by futures contracts represents far more than 1%.
>

> OTC forex (spot, outright forwards, swaps, currency options and currency
> swaps) account for over 90% of forex activity.
>
> Exchange-traded forex is primarily done through futures contracts (and
> associated derivatives such as options-on-futures) and covers less
than 10%
> of the total forex traded.
>

> Worldwide turnover of foreign exchange is estimated at about $1.5
trillion
> per day in 1998.
>

> There are around 2000 dealer institutions whose activities are
covered by
> the Bank for International Settlements.  The bulk of trading is done by
> around 200 banks who provide market making activity.  I doubt IB
would even
> rate a mention in the top 200.  Indeed, IB isn't even mentioned in
Reuters