RE: [amibroker] Re: QP2 - actual and backadjusted prices

Your
theory is excellent, except for the scenario of reverse splits.
There are as many reverse splits going on right now as there has been normal
splits in the past.  A reverse split happens when a company decides that
the price of their shares is too low.  Perhaps they are going to be kicked
out of the NASDAQ or S&P, whatever.  So, they reverse split the price
of their shares.   I'm looking at one at the moment where the actual
price is only 10% of the backadjusted price.    That's somewhat
typical.  The price goes below one dollar (say 0.80), so they reverse split
the stock to make it $8.00.    That makes the backadjusted price
of their shares $850 in 1997 instead of $85.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
wouldn't worry whether using actual (correct?) prices and volumes for filtering
is going to give you better or worse results.   It will give you more
accurate results.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
If you
only want to trade shares between $1 and $10 today, I assume that ten years ago
you would have only wanted to trade shares between $1 and $10.   Why
not let your systems look at the same shares in your backtest that you would
have considered on the day?
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<BLOCKQUOTE

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Phsst
  [mailto:phsst@xxxxxxxxx]Sent: Saturday, June 21, 2003 11:15
  PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker] Re:
  QP2 - actual and backadjusted
  pricesChuck,Bear with me while I think out
  loud...I have more than one trading system (long and short) which
  producevery good backtest results (along with verified real trading
  results)using split-adjusted data.If I revert to raw (non-split
  adjusted) data, I'll probably see aneven better return since my systems
  are filtered on price and volume,and I'll probably pick up even more 'tech
  bubble' pre-split trades.And as I develope even more trading systems
  which now use raw data, Ishould expect to find it easier to ferret out
  profitable tradingsystems because of the improved probability of 'hitting'
  bubblepre-split shooting stars. But the reality is that by using
  split adjusted data, the backtestresults should reveal a 'worst case'
  situation since split-adjusteddata will eliminate many of the 'shooting
  stars' that might beregarded as once in a decade (or even once in a
  century) situations.It is late here... where is my thinking screwed
  up?Phsst--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Chuck
  Rademacher"<chuck_rademacher@x> wrote:> Thanks, Ed.>
  > Learn something new every day.   I don't use QP2, but I'm
  sure thata lot of> people will appreciate learning about the extra
  functionality that they> offer.>   -----Original
  Message----->   From: E Winters
  [mailto:e.winters@xxxx]>   Sent: Saturday, June 21, 2003 7:12
  Subject: Re: [amibroker] Re: Historical volume filtering> >
  >   Chuck,>   QP2 maintains split adjusted
  and unadjusted prices and volumes aswell.> Amibroker has a plugin
  for QP2 but I don't think it currently has the> ability to retrieve the
  Raw data, but there are Excel functionswhich can> retrieve the
  unadjusted prices and volumes.>
  Regards,>   Ed>     ----- Original
  Message ----->     From: Chuck
  Rademacher>     To:
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>     Sent: Saturday, June
  21, 2003 1:58 PM>     Subject: RE: [amibroker] Re:
  Historical volume filtering> > >
  Mornin' Al,> >     My first email for the
  day and I haven't had my cuppa yet!> >     I
  get my data from CSI Unfair Advantage.   To my knowledge, itis
  the> only data supplier that provides both actual and backadjusted
  prices and> volume.    I convert the CSI data to
  MetaStock format, placing theactual> close in the open interest
  column.   It is possible to "squeeze"other data> into the
  open interest column such as earnings, dividends, etc., butI'm not>
  at the moment.   Since open interest is an integer field, I multiply
  the> actual close by 100 before placing it in the field.   If
  I waswriting some> AFL to filter price and volume, I might say
  something like:> >     BuyOK = OI > 100
  and Volume > 200000;       // 100 =
  $1>     ShortOK = OI > 600 and Volume >
  300000;    //  600 = $6>
  >     I'm afraid that I don't understand your
  question about segmenting> stocks.   I simply have actual and
  backadjusted prices all in theO,H,L,C,V> and OI fields in the
  MetaStock data.> >     As to your first
  question, I came up with something that works for> scaling the turnover
  filter.   It is the most basic solution and the>
  mathematicians would be quite critical of it.... but it works:>
  >     LB =
  BarIndex()-245;>     SPXVol =
  Foreign(".SPX","Volume",fixup=1);>
  CurrentSPXVolAvg = MA(SPXVol,245);>
  BaseSPXVolAvg = Ref(MA(SPXVol,245),-LB);>
  VolRatio = CurrentSPXVolAvg / BaseSPXVolAvg;>
  MinTurnover = 100000 * (VolRatio / 3);>
  >     The above basically calculates the 245-day
  moving average of S&Pvolume> at any point in the data and
  compares it to the 245-day movingaverage in> the first year of
  data.   That ratio then gets divided by three(arbitrary)>
  and multiplied by 100000.   The effect is, in 1985 I would
  befiltering with> a minimum turnover of $100,000 and currently
  about $500,000.> >     I hope that answers
  your questions... now for that cuppa>
  >         Yahoo! Groups
  Sponsor>
  ADVERTISEMENT> > > > >   Send BUG