Re: [amibroker] a few considerations about optimization

Al and others,

before I comment about efficiency ratio, let me
explain better by an example:
let's call I have built a simply trading system
based on resistance and support breakouts (or rebounds), and those levels
coincide to the most recent peak and trough (hard values) respectively. Such a
system need to be optimized, in order to find the best % value for "change"into
the peak/trough formula and finally to achieve the best performance. But,
for any system like this, you can easily verify that a global optimization
(tha same "change" % for all symbols) always gives a <FONT face=Arial
size=2>meaningfully worst result than an individual optimization.
It's true that some symbols give poor gains under
every conditions, but by an individual optimization it's possible to bouncefrom
a loss to a reasonable gain, with whatever symbol.
Lastly, what makes the difference? Why,
running the same trading system, a symbol needs a value of 3 for "change",
while another one needs a value of 12, or 16, to give its best
performance?
Perhaps, the "fractal efficiency ratio" could be
the answer, but at first glance I didn't found a meaningful relation. Anyway,
I'll check it again.

P.S. The formula for fractal efficiency ratio could
be the following:

TimePeriods = <FONT face="Courier New"
color=#ff00ff size=2>500<FONT
size=2>;//(10,10000)
ratio = (<FONT face="Courier New"
color=#0000ff>abs(Close - <FONT
face="Courier New" color=#0000ff>Ref<FONT
face="Courier New">(Close,-TimePeriods)))/(<FONT
face="Courier New" color=#0000ff>Sum<FONT
face="Courier New">(<FONT face="Courier New"
color=#0000ff>abs(Close-<FONT
face="Courier New" color=#0000ff>Ref<FONT
face="Courier New">(Close,-<FONT face="Courier New"
color=#ff00ff>1<FONT
face="Courier New">)),TimePeriods));
Best
regards,