Re: [amibroker] Porting AmiBroker to Linux and/or BeOS

Hello, Tomasz:

On 20-Jul-00, Tomasz Janeczko wrote:

> I would like to ask some questions to all of you, especially
> current Amiga owners and registered users of AmiBroker for Amiga:
> 1. What do you think about porting AmiBroker to Linux?

If you remember, I recommended that you make a Linux version even before doing
a PC version. Better to be a big fish in a small pond that to duke it out with
an army of strong programs. Sometimes I think they forgot the home user.

> 2. Will you switch to using Linux version instead of Amiga version?
> If so, will you use Linux on Amiga or will you use PC?

Although I strongly think you should make a Linux version, I don't have the
time available to learn a whole bunch of new operating systems. Having avoided
the PC this long, I doubt that I would jump onto Linux any time soon,
provided, of course, that the Amiga AmiBroker is still being developed.

> 3. What kind of desktop do you prefer:

I don't have an opinion on any of those.

> 4. What do you think about porting AmiBroker to BeOS?

I don't know the BeOS market, but I am sure the users would appreciate having
a good, friendly T/A program. Whether enough users would be interested in
actually registering AmiBroker is another story. How many computers boot up in
BEOS vs experiment with it?

> 5. Will you switch to using BeOS version (this requires PC or Mac computer)

I doubt it, except on an experimental basis, once I buy a PC.
For now, I'll emulate the Mac, thank you.

I have a question for you. Have you put any thought at all about doing a New
Amiga version, since it is supposed to be platform neutral? This would save
you a BIG headache, making all of these different versions (if it all works
out the way it should...). You avoided the situation because of uncertainty,
but that is rapidly changing, now. I know there is no rush to get involved,
but I am sure the patient Amiga users here would appreciate knowing your
thoughts about this.

As to the comment about a GPL release, if my shareware experience is anything
to go on, if you made a GPL version, your registrations would probably dwindle
to a negligible number. The only thing that would prove to the author is that
all of those late nights are not worth it. The user needs to make a proper
commitment to support a shareware author (especially of software which is used
in business or involves the user's own money), and your public version gives
the user enough of a chance to find out if AmiBroker will suit him/her.

Having written AmiBroker support software for over three years now, I have a
good respect for the shareware system & authors. Although most of what I wrote
was initially for my own use, my work would be worth much less without
AmiBroker improving at the same time. Since investment software (even in an
unregistered form) has the potential to make the user a lot of money, there is
no reason not to charge a reasonable amount as a shareware fee.

Keep on trucking!

--

The World of AmiBroker Support