Re: [amibroker] Porting AmiBroker to Linux and/or BeOS

Hello,

> > 2. Will you switch to using Linux version instead of Amiga version?
> > If so, will you use Linux on Amiga or will you use PC?
>
> Although I strongly think you should make a Linux version, I don't have the
> time available to learn a whole bunch of new operating systems. Having avoided
> the PC this long, I doubt that I would jump onto Linux any time soon,
> provided, of course, that the Amiga AmiBroker is still being developed.

The main problem with native Amiga version is the development of GUI (user interface).
This is really tedious task and this is the reason why version 3.30 is delayed.
As I wrote some time ago all core AmiBroker functions (database handling, AFL engine,
chart drawing) are written in platform-independent way so when I make PC version
all those functions are immediatelly available in Amiga version.
Unfortunatelly development of GUI is different. And what is worse I use rather old
gadtools.library for AmiBroker user interface which is the fastest and the most compact
but the most complicated to write. I could switch to more modern library (MUI or
BGUI, etc) but this will mean REWRITING lots of Amiga-only code which is not
realistic. Why? I can not invest that much time in the version that sells so bad
(only very few registrations in the first half of 2000).
I keep upgrading Amiga version mainly because I want to thank all Amiga users
for supporting me during 5 years since the release of version 1.0.

BTW: AmiBroker/Amiga 3.30 beta will be released on Sunday July 23 .

> > 4. What do you think about porting AmiBroker to BeOS?
>
> I don't know the BeOS market, but I am sure the users would appreciate having
> a good, friendly T/A program. Whether enough users would be interested in
> actually registering AmiBroker is another story. How many computers boot up in
> BEOS vs experiment with it?

BeOS is great system, much better suited for home use than Linux. I was asking
about making BeOS version because BeOS is POSIX-compliant system and it has
a lot of Linux-compatible libraries available (such as GTK, wxWindows and so on)
so the sources for Linux would be very easily portable to BeOS.

> I have a question for you. Have you put any thought at all about doing a New
> Amiga version, since it is supposed to be platform neutral? This would save
> you a BIG headache, making all of these different versions (if it all works
> out the way it should...). You avoided the situation because of uncertainty,
> but that is rapidly changing, now. I know there is no rush to get involved,
> but I am sure the patient Amiga users here would appreciate knowing your
> thoughts about this.

>From my point of view the best thing is to have one platform-independent GUI library
available for PC, Linux, BeOS and Amiga. I know two good portable user-interface libraries
available for PC and Linux: Qt and wxWindows. The first is commercial and it costs
thousands of dollars but the second is free and it is also available for BeOS.
Unfortunatelly there is no Amiga version of wxWindows library. If so called "New Amiga"
will provide some standard library which is compatible with other platforms it will be great.
Otherwise I can see no future for this "new Amiga".

Best regards,
Tomasz Janeczko