RE: [amibroker] AmiQuote export formats

Hi,

> > First of all: Jerrel asked about exporting from AmiQuote not AmiBroker.
> > AmiQuote is internet downloader program for AmiBroker. Exporting data
> > from AmiBroker is different thing.
>
> Ah, OK, I have yet to see AmiQuote in action (I use REBOL to get my data.).
> Does it make new ASCII files by extracting and reformating data from web
> sites?
AmiQuote uses some tricks to ask Yahoo for plain data instead of normal HTML page
full of ads and so on. Moreover it handles downloading multiple data files at the same time
thanks to multi-threaded design (so you can utilize full bandwidth of your connection by
downloading 5 or more files at the same time). It can download 5 year history for 30 stocks
(~2MB of data, ticker+date+OHLCV) using 33.6kbit/sec modem connection within 9 minutes.

> > Second: I can not see any problem with renaming tickers.
> > Just rename the ticker symbol of a stock in AmiBroker and
> > reimport data from the date when renaming occurred.
>
> Reimporting years of data is not always an easy option (many exchanges don't
> have histories available). As I pointed out, changing tickers only works if we
> catch the name change in time, before any data is collected in a new file.
> With minor stocks, this can easily go undetected for quite some time, when a
> whole exchange is followed. A reliable way of exporting all data from
> AmiBroker is needed (as you noted below), in this case.

That's why you should use $AUTOADD 1 and $GROUP 255 in your .format definition file.
This will work in such a way that if a new ticker is detected AmiBroker will add a new stock
and it will appear in group 255 which you can call "New tickers". Then you can easily find out
what new tickers are.

> > With PC version you can use Automation interface provided by AmiBroker.
> > Examples of using Automation interface are given on AmiBroker/Win32 site.
> > Exporting quotations of single stock is a matter of iterating Quotations
> > collection of a Stock object.
>
> I'll try, once I get a PC.
> As for long Amiga histories, it was always broken. ;^(

Automation interface takes different approach than ARexx interface. Using automation
classes you are not connected with the user interface so traversing thru stocks/quotations
does not visually select those items. As for ARexx interface - I know I should fix it and I will
do that in a free minute :-)

> > Currently AmiBroker's ASCII importers allows not only to import quotes but
> > also company full name, assignments to groups, markets, industries,
> > additional information (WSE related), number and volume of advancing,
> > declining and unchanged issues.
> > Soon it will be also possible to import financial figures such as income,
> > earnings before taxes and after the taxes, EPS, book value and more.
>
> Yes, this is what is needed, unless a different method of merging data files
> will be made. AmiBroker's capabilities are getting better all of the time. ;^)

Yes, recently I heard that AmiBroker is "all a bit overwhelming" - too many capabilities ?????

Best regards,
Tomasz Janeczko