RE: [amibroker] AmiQuote export formats

Hi, Tomasz:

I held this one back too long, so I hope it isn't stale.

On 08-Jul-00, Tomasz Janeczko wrote:

> AmiQuote uses some tricks to ask Yahoo for plain data instead of normal HTML
> page full of ads and so on. Moreover it handles downloading multiple data
> files at the same time thanks to multi-threaded design

OK, I understand better, now.

> That's why you should use $AUTOADD 1 and $GROUP 255 in your .format
> definition file. This will work in such a way that if a new ticker is
> detected AmiBroker will add a new stock and it will appear in group 255
> which you can call "New tickers".

All of my importers use methods of reporting new tickers, but dealing with
them still takes time. Depending upon how data is collected, whether from a
sheet with many quotes or a single quote server, with me, chances are a new
file will collect new data first.

For example, when GTE & BEL merged this past week, they used a new name and a
non-relating ticker (VZ). If some-one was not aware of the new ticker and the
relationship to the old tickers, information (if appropriate) in the old file
might go unused or won't get updated for a while, so having a way of merging
data still would be nice.

As I suggested here earlier, I use GROUP 0 as my new ticker group, since it is
the default and 0 best relates to unset.

> Then you can easily find out what new tickers are.

;^) I usually get around to this once or twice a month!

> Automation interface takes different approach than ARexx interface.

Will this ability come to the Amiga version?
Will you allow us to do research on the database without requiring the current
stock to be continuously changed?

> As for ARexx interface - I know I should fix it and I will do that in a free
> minute :-)

OK, I know what you mean. ;^)

> Yes, recently I heard that AmiBroker is "all a bit overwhelming" - too many
> capabilities ?????

New users probably have much more to learn besides AB. I did. ;^)

--

The World of AmiBroker Support