Re: Sorry to offend but I need to ask

  • To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Sorry to offend but I need to ask
  • From: "Gary Fritz" <fritz@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 08:48:32 -0700

> After downloading Proxomitron from http://www.proxomitron.org and
> extracting the files to their own directory on your hard disk (there
> is no Windows Install procedure, just put all the files somewhere), do
> the following:

I have a love/hate relationship with Proxomitron.  I used it for
years but never installed it on the last system I built.  It's
great to have all those ads and popups blocked, but I got sick of
having a large percentage of websites just mysteriously and
silently "not work" when Prox was running.

Example:  configure Prox exactly the way Alex has generously
explained.  (Thanks Alex!)  Now try browsing to a bunch of
websites.  I'll bet before too long you'll hit something that
doesn't work right.  In my case I happened to go to
http://www.silveroak.com.  Hm, blank screen, nothing happens.  So
I right-click the Prox icon in the systray, select "Bypass" to
disable Prox, and reload the website.  Presto!  Works like a
charm.  Also, Javascript-based things (like windows that pop up
when you click, stuff like that) often don't work right.  And the
really annoying thing is that you might not realize the website
isn't working the way it's supposed to unless you turn off Prox
and reload it.

Prox works great when it works.  But it's a drag to have to
disable it all the time when you find that something's not
working.

Gary