Re: Sorry to offend but I need to ask

  • To: zxcv@xxxxxxxxxxx (phil)
  • Subject: Re: Sorry to offend but I need to ask
  • From: alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Alex Matulich)
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 21:07:13 -0700

Phil,

I'm cc-ing this to the Omega list in case others find it useful.

>Please send the list you make reference to below relating to proxomitron.

After downloading Proxomitron from http://www.proxomitron.org and
extracting the files to their own directory on your hard disk (there
is no Windows Install procedure, just put all the files somewhere),
do the following:

1.  Configure your browser to use a proxy server for HTTP communications
only, at IP address 127.0.0.1 port 8080.  If you use IE, go to
Tools->Internet Options->Connections->LAN Settings(button).  UN-check
"automatically detect settings" and "use automatic configuration
script."  CHECK "Use a proxy server" and click Advanced.  Enter
127.0.0.1 and 8080 in the HTTP fields.

2.  Put a shortcut to Proxomitron in your Startup folder, so that it
starts when you boot Windows.  Once you set up your browser to use it,
your browser will need it all the time.

3.  Run Proxomitron (either run it or re-boot to have it start
automatically).  There's a green triangle icon on your task bar.
Right-click on it and select "Open Proxomitron" to configure it.

4.  Enable the first three active filters, at least.

5.  Edit the web page filters.  I use the following settings.
Some are critical (like the "kill pop-ups" / "restore pop-ups"
combination), and some are just useful but not critical, and some
are for security and privacy.

Banner blaster (limit text) [kills most banner ads]
Area Map ad blaster
Area map ad blaster pt2 (show all links)
Kill javascript banners
Flash animation killer [I never need Flash but you may want it]
Counter killer [many web page counters are actually spyware]
Kill images on selected pages [any pages you specify in a blockfile]
Un-prefix URLs [simplifies nested URLs]
Sounds to links [so you don't get surprised by a sound at work!]
OnUnload unloader [kills pop-ups that appear when you leave a page]
Kill pop-up windows [eliminates pop-ups when you load a new page]
Restore pop-ups after a page loads [lets useful pop-ups work]
Force pop-ups to have browser controls
Link de-obfuscator
Wordwrap all form textboxes [useful so you don't have to scroll sideways]
GeoCities branding killer
Suppress all javascript errors
Stop browser window resizing
Stop status bar scrollers
Kill nosey javascripts
Disable javascript (and meta) cookies
Hide browser's referrer from JS
Allow right mouse click [some pages try to disable the right mouse button]
Kill window.external method [closes a big security hole]
Frame jumper-outer [fixes bad HTML that keeps you stuck inside a frame]
Kill layers [useless feature unique to Netscape]
Allow for frame resizing [lets you adjust the borders of all frames]
Table width unlimiter [lets table sizes float with your window width]
Kill anti-cache meta tags

6. Edit the header filters.  Most of them are already set properly:

(out) accept encoding: allow webpage encoding
(in) cache-control: always cache
(in) content-type: fix MIME types
(in) expires: always cache
(out) referer: hide where we've been
(in) set-cookie: make all cookies session only
(out) URL: alias redirector
(out) URL: enable netscape keywords
(out) URL-Killer: kill-a-URL
(out) User-Agent: Netscape Linux [or anything else you prefer]

7.  SAVE YOUR CONFIGURATION!  File->Save Default Settings.

8.  Interactive Brokers doesn't like Proxomitron.  To access the IB
web site, right click on the green triangle and select "Edit Blockfile:
Bypass."  Add the line to the blockfile
[^/]++interactivebrokers.com/
then save the file, right-click the green triangle, select Add to
blockfile -> Reload lists.

You can have other sites bypass Proxomitron this way too if they don't
work right and you trust them.  So far all I need bypassed is IB and
windows update.

That should do it.

-Alex