Re: Data Delivery, Satelite or DSL?

I have verizon DSL.
I used Pacific Bell DSL before, Comcast cable modem before that,
ISDN before that, etc.
My dad uses Earthlink satellite.

Based on our experience, ISDN is the most reliable  with
guaranteed response time.
Up time is usually over 99.8%.
Routing and NS lookup are flawless and very fast, << 10 msec.

DSL is the second most reliable, also with guaranteed response
time (latency).

Pacific Bell in California is far superior to the Verizon in
terms of speed and latency.  With PacBell DSL I could ping a well
known host in << 5 msec.

DSL is NOT sensitive to traffic carried by other user because you
have a dedicated circuit (although virtual).  Unless your
provider's point of presence goes down, traffic will not effect
you.

Cable modem has the best bandwidth when good, but not reliable.
Latency varies from << 20 msec to >> 5,000 msec.
Reliability varies by provider from OK to miserable.
If you live in an apartment complex, performance can be very
flaky.

Earthling satellite is the least reliable.
Down time is > 5%.
My father says, every the stock market is busy, his connection
goes dead.
My father also noted numerous weather related problems.
NS lookup ( URL resolution ) is generally poor.
Earthlink satellite latency is terrible, 500 msec to 5,000 msec.

Have you considered keeping the DSL you have?

Leslie Walko

--
Regards,
Leslie Walko